Monday, December 12, 2016

Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk?

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?"
This riddle has plagued me for years and I'm sure it has done the same for most anybody who has watched Alice in Wonderland (and apparently I'm not the first to be writing on this).  I was bored and asked Siri about this when bored the other day and she directed me to Wikipedia saying "Because Poe wrote on both".

I liked this answer so much I obviously decided to write a post.  Doing a little more research into it I found that Lewis Carroll never intended to have an answer for the riddle.  From the book:


"Have you guessed the riddle yet?" the Hatter said, turning to Alice again. 

"No, I give it up," Alice replied. "What's the answer?" 
"I haven't the slightest idea," said the Hatter. 
"Nor I," said the March Hare. 
Alice sighed wearily. "I think you might do something better with the time," she said, "than wasting it in asking riddles that have no answers."

So he never had any intentions on answering his own riddle.  Nice.  He did come up with an answer after being bugged for so long.  He wrote:  

Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!

And then stated in a disclaimer that the original riddle has no answer.  

So if you haven't looked up why A raven is like a writing desk, here you go.  As for me, I'm going to ask Siri more questions about random stuff until I fall asleep (you should ask what she's doing for Christmas, it changes every time and funny all the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spartan No More

It's with heavy heart I type these words. Here's my story (I know nobody asked, but I'm not sleeping and I have a computer, so w...