Monday, November 21, 2016

Mexican Food

Recently we met up with my in-laws so they could watch my children.  When deciding where to meet my in-laws stated Taco Bell was a good meeting place.  They figure there is something for everyone there.  My wife explains to her dad that my kids (8 and 7 at this point) have never eaten Taco Bell.  He is shocked by this remark so my wife points out to him (as if he didn't already know) both my heritage and what I like for food.  He starts laughing when the connection is made.

Considering my heritage (Mexican if you haven't read previous posts) and where I grew up (Southeast Texas), Taco Bell isn't exactly where I go when I'm craving a good taco or burrito.

Taco Bell's burrito, it does look good, doesn't it?
Don't get me wrong, I crave the occasional Grill Stuffed Burrito, but I am forever in search of more authentic Mexican food.  Ever since I left Texas I can't seem to find it frequently.  I get the occasional glimpse of it's full glory in other locations but it's not the same.

For example when I lived in Provo, UT some friends of mine and I stumbled across a restaurant in the downtown area.  It was a hole in the wall, they literally painted the brick wall outside their restaurant white and the name of the place in red (it was called La Tormenta at the intersection of Center Street and 400 North, there is a big Coca Cola sign on it now. If you drop Pegman on the street view look north, you'll see the building I'm talking about.  I'm sad it's gone). The food was terrific and most of the time we would end up with Montezuma's Revenge (worth it every time).

My current place of residence had a great place when I first moved out here 11 years ago.  Unfortunately because of where I live the food went from flavorful with a kick to "gringoized" (dulled down the spice flavor to accommodate the gringo population).

Some of the other places I've found recently are terrific.  They are true to their heritage and as far as I know they won't change anytime soon (and for that I'm eternally grateful).

Sadly the lady is retiring and I'm going to lose one of my go to taco restaurants.  Best tacos I've eaten on the east coast.  The menu is small, only a few items but what she cooks is excellent (it's like a party in your mouth and everyone's invited).

Taco Rico, simple yet satisfying (and terrific)
Recently a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of another restaurant in the area, not too far from home.  I'm excited about this one because they turned a house into a restaurant and they painted their cinder blocks brown.  The food so far has been terrific and I look forward to eating their several more times.

Enchiladas with green sauce
Mole 

Worst case scenario I can cook up my own meal.  I'm still learning a few things but it'll be more than worthwhile when I perfect my dishes.
Chorizo with eggs, refried beans and potatoes, my personal favorite  I make from scratch



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spartan No More

It's with heavy heart I type these words. Here's my story (I know nobody asked, but I'm not sleeping and I have a computer, so w...