Sunday, May 17, 2020

Spartan No More

It's with heavy heart I type these words. Here's my story (I know nobody asked, but I'm not sleeping and I have a computer, so why not?) Hope you enjoy my pics, they are all in 2019 in order of me completing the races.

In Summer of 2018 I ran a Spartan Sprint with my brothers. Something I thought would be fun to do with my siblings and an excuse to get back into shape.

If you've never heard of a Spartan race, it's essentially a 5K race with obstacles (ranging in difficulty from jumping over a hay bale to climbing up a rope). You can skip around the obstacles if you want. It's a lot more physically challenging than running/walking a 5k due to those obstacles.

Leading up to the race I was overwhelmed and never did end up exercising properly. I did end up losing about 10 pounds, but there was little to no training going on leading up to the Sprint.  I completed the race (there was little to no running), 4 miles in 2 hours.

Driving to my first Spartan race in June 2019

Life continued, I ended up gaining all that weight back and more.  By Fall of 2018 I was over 230 pounds and felt like shit. Every time I rolled over my belly stayed behind, any it was the first to make it to the other side. I was always tired and hated the way I felt.

Finished the Spartan Sprint, 4 miles 1.5 hours (.5 hours faster than 2018)

Met some Street Fighters walking around after my race
I decided I was not only going to run the Spartan Sprint (5k), but I was also going to earn the Spartan Trifecta. That would be completing 3 races in a calendar year, one Sprint (3-5 miles), one Super (7-10 miles) and one Beast (13-15 miles).

There was a lot of excitement each time I registered and walked to the event. Walking around you could see everyone's excitement as well (and dread of what was to come). Every event had different places to sit, hang around, and prepare/cool down.  The excitement was clearly there.

Beautiful sights walking around the Spartan Beast in WV, August 2019. 

This is Oscar, he joined me for all my runs since my family couldn't be there

Taking a quick selfie while resting (this mountain was one of many nightmare peaks we needed to climb)

Finished the 14ish mile Beast after 7 hours (and had to do CPR on the side of a mountain, I hope that Spartan made it)
I won't bore you with all the details from here on.  I earned my Trifecta in November 2019.  I couldn't stop smiling when I crossed the finish line.  It was a terrific achievement.  I fought long and hard to get to that point. 
Walking around the events area, always something fun to see

Finished my 8 mile Spartan Super, completing my Trifecta. Couldn't stop smiling
The Spartan races will always have a special place in my heart.  This is why I hate that I will no longer be participating in the Spartan races.  I continued to train, paid to attend all three races again, then the damn Covid 19.  My races were cancelled and now they have changed everything. 

They have changed it with good reason. They are doing their best to keep everyone healthy.  They are doing their best to prevent the spread of the Rona and keep their races going.  I don't blame them at all for anything they have done.

Though these changes are for the best in the current situation, I feel that it is no longer for me.  I will forever hold the Spartan Races in high regard. I will encourage anyone to participate if they have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spartan No More

It's with heavy heart I type these words. Here's my story (I know nobody asked, but I'm not sleeping and I have a computer, so w...