Friday, December 23, 2016

Rhetorical Questions

I was accused of not taking care of my own patients tonight. I asked her to start an IV for me on one patient (me and another nurse tried and failed) and I asked the tech to start a Foley catheter who in turn asked her for help with it.

I then hear her scream "Well fuck, why am I taking care of his fucking patients?  The only thing I haven't done for him is his assessment."

We've been working together tonight in the same section by this point for 2.5 hours and that's all I've asked her to do. Start an IV we had already missed. The tech asked for help doing her job. I didn't ask her to do it.

Anyway, I can tell she's fuming so I watch my patients remotely from the other end of the ED and I can hear her say to the charge nurse "If he would stop eating his fucking tacos maybe he could take care of his fucking patients and I wouldn't have to."

A little while later I go to the charge nurse to explain what had happened from my point of view.  He cuts me off and asks me if my patients are taken care of, if I'm caught up. I say yes and try again to explain and he cuts me off and says make sure my shit is done.  I explain again I'm caught up minus some documentation.

Whatever.  I only asked her to do one thing. Heaven forbid she get off her high horse and help.

Here's what I got out of tonight: Don't ever ask her for help, heaven forbid I set her off on a racist tirade attacking me personally, and don't ask this tech for help cause she'll throw me under the bus.

Neither one of them can look me in the eye after this, both avoid me (and I them).  So why is this still bothering me?  Chances of me being written up are nonexistent.  It's over with, I'm at home and don't go back to work until Tuesday.  Why am I still up?  Why am I frustrated over this situation?

I should pull an Elsa and let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spartan No More

It's with heavy heart I type these words. Here's my story (I know nobody asked, but I'm not sleeping and I have a computer, so w...